Monday, July 21, 2008

Week 1: Day 1

Today was your typical first day on any job (for the most part).

We started out with a brief intro to the many instructors that will be helping to facilitate the academy.  From there we moved into recruit intros.  

The oldest recruit is 47, the youngest is 19.  My classmates come from many walks of life....single, married, 0-4 children, hailing from Florida, the DC Metro area, Guinea, Cuba.  Some left careers of 12+ years to join the academy....teachers, engineers, fitness trainers, all chasing that childhood dream.

From there we moved into the WONDERFUL hours of filling out forms.  Beneficiaries, emergency contacts, contact list in the even of death, medical insurance enrollment, dental enrollment, 401a enrollment, 457 enrollment, VRS enrollment....you name it, I probably enrolled in it.

Then we got down to the nuts and bolts of the academy, the rules and regulations: what to/not to do, how to greet instructors, visitors, etc., formation, uniform requirements.

Like any military bootcamp or for those of you that have joined a Fraternity, pledging, instructors began to show the roles they would assume.  There were the nice quiet ones, the ones that acted nice and realized "OH CRAP, I have to pretend I'm mean" and then would follow up with some comment about not earning respect to say or do this and that.  Others came out full swing showing they would become that angry drill master.

Today was nothing too exciting, other than what you would expect for hours of paperwork (now I remember why I disliked desk jobs).   

Tomorrow is the PT Assessment......stay tuned for aches and pains.

2 comments:

Multiple Personalities said...

Nick forgot to mention we spent most of the evening washing and ironing his uniforms which, for the record, I didn't mind doing. But I took extra care in following the washing instructions and creasing his pants and shirt sleeves because if he has to run a few extra miles, do more push ups or flights of stairs after uniform inspection because someone saw something wrong with it, I would feel really badly.

Ellen Davis said...

Ah yes, all childhood dreams can easily be quashed by the harsh realization of paperwork! But I have no doubt they'll have you up and moving in no time.